Updated: March 7, 2019
On February 28, 2019 the program was terminated. For full details, refer to Minister's Order: Ontario Edible Horticultural Support Program [0006-2019]
The Edible Horticulture Support Program provides financial support to help Ontario producers of edible horticulture products adjust to new and challenging cost pressures in the small business environment. Payments are based on net sales of edible horticulture. The Edible Horticulture Support Program is funded by the Government of Ontario and is available in 2018.
You may be eligible in 2018 if you:
- Currently produce and sell at least one eligible commodity in Ontario
- Have a minimum of $5,000 in allowable net sales (ANS) for eligible commodities in 2016 (2017 for new farmers)
To receive a 2018 payment, you need to:
- Have a valid premises ID on file
- Have submitted 2016 tax documents reporting farm income
- Individuals submit to CRA
- Corporations submit to Agricorp
- New farmers can use 2017 taxes (Call Agricorp)
How it works
Participants will receive a payment in late April based on their allowable net sales of edible horticulture, as reported in your 2016 tax data and already calculated for SDRM: Edible Horticulture. Payments are calculated using tiers based on your ANS and a proration rate is applied, based on participation, to ensure total payments do not exceed available funding. For more information on payments, see the information sheet.
How to participate
SDRM participants are automatically enrolled
No action is required for producers who have:
- Made a deposit for 2017 SDRM: Edible Horticulture, or
- Received a 2017 SDRM participant package and have a valid premises ID on file with Agricorp
These producers will automatically receive payment details in the mail beginning in late April.
Other producers: Call Agricorp to apply
To enrol in the Edible Horticulture Support Program:
- Call Agricorp to apply
- Work with us to submit tax data and make sure you have a premises ID by March 23
New farmers may be eligible
Since the program is designed to address new cost challenges, producers did not have to farm in 2016 to participate.
For the 2018 program year, producers who reported zero edible horticulture income for 2016 can apply using 2017 tax data.
Program payments are based on a percentage of a producer's allowable net sales (ANS) for edible horticulture, calculated for SDRM: Edible Horticulture using their tax data. To focus support on smaller businesses, payments are calculated using tiers, with higher rates for lower portions of ANS.
|Tier||Portion of ANS||Tier rate|
|1||Up to $1 million||2.5%|
|2||Between $1 million and $2.5 million||2.0%|
|3||Between $2.5 million and $5 million||1.5%|
|4||Between $5 million and $10 million||1.0%|
|N/A||Above $10 million||0|
Your ANS may fall across multiple tiers. For example, if your ANS is $2 million, the first $1 million falls in tier 1 and the remaining $1 million falls in tier 2. Any remaining ANS above $10 million does not qualify for payment.
How payments are calculated
- Multiply each portion of your ANS by the applicable tier rate.
- Add each of these ANS subtotals together for a prepayment amount.
- The prepayment amount is multiplied by a proration rate to ensure payments do not exceed available funding. This proration rate is set by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs once pre-payment amounts are known and will appear in your payment documents.
Apply with all requirements by March 23, 2018
Payments begin in late April 2018