Ontario's Marketing and Vineyard Improvement Program (MVIP) was created under the Wine and Grape Strategy to promote Ontario VQA and support vineyard production improvements. Agricorp is delivering the vineyard improvement component of the program.
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Be an active grower; only one active grower of a group of affiliated active growers may apply in a single application period (see guidelines for details)
- Have marketed wine processing grapes or late-harvest juice grapes within the past two years or have demonstrated a plan to market wine grapes within two years
- Provide a Farm Business Registration (FBR) number. If you don't have an FBR number, provide a copy of one of the following:
- FBR Exemption Certificate
- Indian Agriculture Program of Ontario (IAPO) letter
- T1 General 2016: pages 1 & 2 of your Income Tax and Benefit Return with gross farm income declared on line 168 and a copy of your Statement of Farming Activities – Farm Income & Expenses (T2042)
- Complete the annual benchmarking survey conducted as part of the Ontario government's wine and grape strategy for the year of your Offer to Proceed
- Provide a Grape Growers of Ontario number
- Have completed a Growing Your Farm Profits workshop
- Have an active premises identification number; if you do not have an active premises ID, contact the Provincial Premises Registry at 1-855-697-7743 or visit ontarioppr.com to apply
How it works
MVIP provides grape growers with funds to help with the cost of improvements to their production of wine grapes. Participants can receive a payment for up to 35 per cent of their improvement expenses. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding is available for 2017-18 and 2018-19, but there is only one intake window. Once all funds are allocated, intake will be closed. See the 2017-18 guidelines for details on what improvements are covered.
Intake opens May 30, 2017, and closes when funding is fully allocated. There will be no intake for applications in 2018.
Claim deadlines are based on your Offer to Proceed:
Claims for 2017-18 funding are due March 1, 2018.
Claims for 2018-19 funding are due March 1, 2019.
Intake for applications for projects in the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 project years will start at
10:00 a.m. on May 30, 2017 and will
not be accepted prior to that time.
To download the application form
- Right-click the form and select
Save link as or
Save target as to download and save the form to your computer.
- Right-click the form on your computer and choose Open with Adobe Reader.
If you are still having trouble opening the form, please call Agricorp for assistance.
How to participate
Submit an application
To apply for MVIP, download the application from this page or contact Agricorp to have it sent to you. Submit the completed application to Agricorp during the established intake period by email, mail or fax.
The intake period for 2017-18 and 2018-19 opens Tuesday, May 30 at 10:00 a.m. and closes when the program is full. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you wish to claim an expense for equipment or infrastructure that you share with another producer, review the Group Applications section of the guidelines.
Sign the Offer to Proceed
If accepted, applicants will receive an Offer to Proceed with all the documents required to participate in the program, including a claim form and supporting schedules. The offer must be signed and returned to Agricorp to confirm participation in the program.
There are two funding years. The first group of successful applicants will receive an Offer to Proceed for 2017-18 and others may receive an offer for 2018-19.
Make a claim
Individual funding is capped at $1,000 per acre under production in hybrid or vinifera wine grapes (classes 5-10f), to a maximum of $100,000, over the lifetime of the program.
To receive a payment, participants must submit a completed MVIP claim form and supporting documents to Agricorp by March 1 of the year of your Offer to Proceed. If you receive an offer for 2017-2018 funding, your claim deadline is March 1, 2018. If you receive an offer for 2018-2019 funding, your claim deadline is March 1, 2019.
Participants may submit expenses several times throughout the year and receive interim grant payments until all eligible project expenses are submitted. The first payments will be made after the annual benchmarking survey is complete.
To qualify for payment, vineyard improvements (goods and services) must be completed, and all eligible costs relating to the improvements must be incurred, within the timing outlined in your Offer to Proceed:
- For 2017-2018 funding, all eligible costs relating to the improvements must be incurred by the applicant between April 1, 2017 and March 1, 2018.
- For 2018-2019 funding, all eligible costs relating to the improvements must be incurred by the applicant between April 1, 2018 and March 1, 2019.
Applicants who incur expenses prior to receiving an Offer to Proceed do so at the risk of not being reimbursed.
Contact Agricorp if you have questions or need assistance with MVIP and program-related forms.
The Grape Growers of Ontario also offers assistance and the use of a computer for producers completing the application:
1634 South Service Road
St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 6P9