To be eligible you must:
- Produce at least one eligible cattle category in Ontario
- Be able to demonstrate ownership
- Enrol all your eligible production within a cattle category
- Pay premium
- Have a premises identification number
To remain eligible for RMP, pay your premium and submit your livestock sales reports by the program deadlines. Even if you had no sales during a reporting period, you must contact Agricorp and report zero sales. Failure to pay your premium or submit a sales report may result in the cancellation of your coverage.
All cattle that meet all of the following requirements are eligible.
- Must be sold during the program year
- Must be produced in Ontario and owned by you for a minimum of 120 consecutive days (this 120-day period can span multiple categories)
- Must be 30 months of age or less
- Cannot be used for breeding purposes (restriction for the backgrounder and feedlot categories only)
- Cannot be enrolled and have sales reported under the RMP plan for veal
Cattle may be enrolled in any of the following three production categories:
Cattle category ||
Live weights |
|Cow-calf||Up to 550 lb.||Up to 500 lb.|
|Backgrounder||Over 550 – 900 lb.||Over 500 – 850 lb.|
|Feedlot ||Over 900 – 1,500 lb.||Over 850 – 1,400 lb.|
Cattle that fall outside of these weight ranges may still be enrolled; however, payments are based only on the maximum weights listed above. For cow-calf and backgrounder categories, any additional weight gain beyond the maximum will be covered in the next weight category, if you're enrolled.
For the cow-calf category:
- Calves must weigh more than 350 pounds at time of sale to be eligible for payment
- Calves must be raised from birth to be eligible for payment under the cow-calf category
- Calves may be retained for future breeding purposes and still be eligible for payment under the cow-calf category only
Ontario Corn Fed Beef Ledger (OCFB) Account program
The Ledger Account program is a risk management tool offered by Ontario Cattle Feeders' Association (OCFA). The program will help stabilize pricing for participating cattle producers, encouraging further growth in the sector.
How the Ledger Account and RMP work together:
- Producers can enrol in both programs.
- Cattle sold through the Ledger Account program are not eligible for RMP feedlot category payments.
- The Ledger Account does not impact eligibility for RMP cow-calf and backgrounder category payments.
- Participants need to report all eligible cattle sales on their sales report, including those sold through the Ledger Account program. All cattle need to be accounted for by RMP to maintain accurate insured production.
For more information on the Ledger Account program, contact OCFA at 519-539-6623 or visit
Estimating your insured production
Use the weight ranges shown in the table above when estimating your insured production.
A cattle producer is enrolled in all three categories and plans to sell:
- 60 steer calves at 550 lb.
- 20 steers at approximately 1800 lb. (raised from birth).
Cow-calf insured production
60 steer calves + 20 steers
= 80 head
Backgrounder insured production
20 steers x eligible weight gain in the backgrounder category (900 lb. – 550 lb. = 350 lb.)
= 7,000 lb.
Feedlot insured production
20 steers x eligible weight gain in the feedlot category (1500 lb. – 900lb. = 600 lb.)
= 12,000 lb.