All farm businesses in Ontario that gross $7,000 or more annually are required by law to register their farm business with Agricorp.
There are a number of benefits to registering your farm business:
- Farm property class tax rate - You may qualify to pay 25 per cent of the municipal residential rate on your agricultural land.
- Eligibility for government programs - You are eligible for programs including the Wildlife Damage Compensation Program and Growing Forward 2 initiatives.
- Membership in an accredited farm organization - With a valid FBR number, you can obtain a membership in one of three accredited farm organizations:
- Christian Farmers Federation of Ontario (CFFO)
- National Farmers Union – Ontario (NFU-O)
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA)
Everyone is required to complete the four-page Registration Form in 2015. The Registration Form is included with this year's Invoice mailed in January. Once you've completed the Registration Form this year, you will not need to complete it again until 2020. Please complete your Registration Form and pay your Invoice by March 1, 2015 online at farmbusreg.com or by mail.
You'll need to include your AgriStability/AgriInvest PIN when you register (if you have one). This will be used to verify your farm income eligibility. Information provided on the form may also be used to validate eligibility for other programs requiring an FBR number.
Effective January 1, 2015, applicants for new farm plates will be required to demonstrate that they have a farm business. To obtain new farm plates, you must provide a document that shows your FBR number or an exemption. If you have any questions, visit a Service Ontario location, call 1-800-387-3445 or visit