Drought support for northwestern Ontario farmers

Overview

The government has established two initiatives to support farmers in northwestern Ontario who are impacted by drought conditions:

  • The Northwestern Livestock Emergency Assistance Initiative – Emergency Water and Temporary Fencing Component provides emergency support to livestock farmers in northwestern Ontario who have incurred extraordinary costs with sourcing emergency water or installing temporary fencing due to drought conditions.
  • The Northwestern Ontario Drought Assistance Initiative provides funding for livestock farmers to source water for livestock in northwestern Ontario to help mitigate current and future drought conditions.

In addition, federal and provincial governments have announced The Canada-Ontario Transported Feed AgriRecovery Initiative to help livestock farmers in parts of northwestern Ontario.

Two Ontario initiatives

Northwestern Livestock Emergency Assistance Initiative – Emergency Water and Temporary Fencing Component

(funded by the federal and provincial governments)

Northwestern Ontario Drought Assistance Initiative

(funded by the provincial government)

Purpose

Provides emergency support to livestock farmers in northwestern Ontario who have incurred extraordinary costs with sourcing emergency water or installing temporary fencing due to drought conditions.

Purpose

Provides funding for livestock farmers to source water for livestock in northwestern Ontario to help mitigate current and future drought conditions.

Eligibility

  • Farmers with livestock in Rainy River, Kenora and Thunder Bay
  • Farm Business Registration number for 2021 (or accepted alternative)
  • A valid Premises ID
  • Incurred eligible costs

Eligibility

  • Farmers with livestock in Rainy River, Kenora and Thunder Bay
  • Farm Business Registration number for 2021 (or accepted alternative)
  • A valid Premises ID
  • Incurred eligible costs

Eligible projects

  • The installation of temporary fencing to allow for the safe grazing of livestock on alternative premises
  • The delivery of water to livestock in northwestern Ontario.

Eligible projects

  • Water supply expansion/resilience planning
  • New wells for agricultural purposes
  • Well maintenance and deepening
  • Ponds or cisterns for storing water
  • Water delivery system (piping) to bring water from off farm source to the farm
  • Water treatment equipment for agricultural use

Eligible costs

Water:

  • Trucks/tanks
  • Pumps
  • Troughs
  • Ancillary water equipment items, such as piping, joints, floats and valves

Fencing:

  • Materials, such as line posts and fencing wire
  • Staples, nails
  • Labour, such as machine rentals, electrical sources including solar or battery-powered energizer

Note: Copies of all supporting documents must be provided (e.g., invoices, receipts, proof of payment)

Eligible costs

  • Wells (see Guidelines for details)
  • Ponds (see Guidelines for details)
  • Concrete or plastic cisterns or tanks
  • Delivery systems that bring water from off farm to farm property
  • Transfer piping/ water lines
  • Pumps (high volume, low pressure)
  • Water meters




Note: Copies of all supporting documents must be provided (e.g., invoices, receipts, proof of payment)

Funding

Maximum $10,000 per recipient

The federal and provincial government will pay for 70 per cent of eligible costs and the recipient will be required to pay the remaining 30 per cent.

Funding

Maximum $15,000 per recipient

The provincial government will pay for 50 per cent of eligible costs and the recipient will be required to pay the remaining 50 per cent.

Initiative Guidelines

Initiative Guidelines.

Initiative Guidelines

Initiative Guidelines.

To apply

Complete an Application and email it to nwlivestock@agricorp.com by November 1, 2021.

To apply

Complete an Application and email it to nwlivestock@agricorp.com by January 31, 2022.







Ontario - Agricorp