Why are 5 million acres of Ontario farmland insured under Production Insurance each year?
In a word:
Production Insurance protects Ontario producers from yield reductions and crop losses caused by factors beyond their control, including adverse weather, disease, pests, wildlife or other uncontrollable natural perils.
When you enrol in Production Insurance for new forage seeding, you are offered an establishment benefit. A claim may be paid if an insured peril prevents your crop from establishing a stand.
What Production Insurance offers
- Peace of mind.
- Dependable collateral with financial institutions.
- Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government.
- Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense.
- Claim payments that reflect market prices.
- Coverage that accommodates the unique aspects of each insurable crop.
- Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases).
Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. In most plans, producers pay 40% of the total premium cost and none of the administrative cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60%. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.