Why are 5 million acres of Ontario farmland insured under Production Insurance each year?
In a word:
Production Insurance protects Ontario producers from yield reductions and crop losses caused by factors beyond their control. Things like adverse weather, disease, wildlife and insect infestations.
When you enrol in the grains and oilseeds Production Insurance plans, you are guaranteed a level of production, based on your yield history and the level of coverage you choose. Claims are paid when an insured peril causes your yield to fall below your guaranteed production.
Coverage for production loss caused by on-farm labour shortages due to COVID-19
On July 9, the governments of Canada and Ontario announced an enhancement to Production Insurance for eligible commodities in 2020 to help farmers manage challenges beyond their control.
Production Insurance customers in yield-based, acreage loss and ginseng plans who suffer production loss caused by on-farm labour shortages due to COVID-19 will be insured for the 2020 program year.
See this feature sheet for details.
What Production Insurance offers
- Peace of mind (production level is guaranteed)
- Dependable collateral with financial institutions
- Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government
- Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense
- Claim payments that reflect market prices
- Individual crop plans that accommodate unique aspects of each insurable crop
- Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases)
Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. In most plans, producers pay 40 per cent of the total premium cost and none of the administration cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60 per cent. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.