Production Insurance
Sweet corn (processing)

Overview

​​​​​​​

​​​​​Why are 5 million acres of Ontario farmland insured under Production Insurance each year?

In a word: protection.

Production Insurance protects Ontario producers from yield reductions and production losses caused by factors beyond their control, including adverse weather, disease, pests, wildlife or other uncontrollable natural perils. 

​When you enrol in Production Insurance for processing vegetables, you are guaranteed a level of production based on either your contracted tonnage or your yield history – whichever is less – and the level of coverage you choose. A claim may be paid if an insured peril causes your yield to fall below your guaranteed production.

What's new

Making changes to your coverage – Contact Agricorp by May 10, 2023 to apply for coverage or to change your coverage. Changes to coverage include things like adding or removing commodities, changing coverage levels, and updating other options like claim prices (where applicable).

What Production Insurance offers

  • Peace of mind (production level is guaranteed)
  • Dependable collateral with financial institutions
  • Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government
  • Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense
  • Claim payments that reflect market prices
  • Coverage that accommodates the unique aspects of each insurable crop
  • Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases)

Funding partners

Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership​. For most coverage, producers pay 40% of the total premium cost and none of the administrative cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60%. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.





DeadlinesFebruary 2024
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829

Canadian Agricultural Partnership – Agricorp – Ontario – Canada