All hogs that meet all of the following requirements are eligible.
- Must be sold during the program year
- Must not be enrolled in the same category more than once
- Must be produced and owned by you in Ontario for a minimum length of time as shown below
- Grower/finisher hogs must be sold for slaughter to be eligible for payment in the grower/finisher category
- Must not have been bred*
* Hogs may be sold for future breeding purposes and still be eligible for coverage under the early wean and feeder categories only. For more information, refer to "Off-type animals" below.
Hogs may be enrolled in any of the following three weight categories.
Hog category ||
Live weights |
|Early wean||Up to 7 kg||A minimum of 15 days|
|Feeder||Up to 25 kg1||A minimum of 35 days|
|Grower/finisher||Over 25 kg up to 159 kg2||A minimum of 70 days|
- Also includes off-type animals (e.g., barbecue pigs sold between 25 kilograms and 87.5 kilograms live weight and breeding hogs sold above 25 kilograms).
- Hogs must weigh at least 87.5 kilograms to be eligible for payment in the grower/finisher category, but payment is based on eligible weight gain starting from 25 kilograms.
- Ownership requirements are cumulative. For a farrow to finish operation, you must own the hogs for 120 days to be eligible under all three categories (15 + 35 + 70 = 120).
Hogs sold outside of these weight ranges may still be enrolled; however, payments are based only on the maximum weights listed above. If a hog is sold above the maximum weight range for a category, the animal remains eligible for payment under that category, provided it meets all other eligibility criteria.
Off-type animals include breeding hogs over 25 kilograms and hogs sold for barbecue between 25 and 87.5 kilograms live weight. These animals are treated as feeders for the purpose of your sales reporting and payment calculation.
Estimating your insured production
Use the weight ranges shown in the table above when estimating your insured production.
A hog producer is enrolled in all three categories and plans to sell:
- 2000 hogs at approximately 150 kg. (raised from birth)
Early wean insured production
2000 hogs = 2,000 head
Feeder insured production
2000 hogs = 2,000 head
Grower/finisher insured production
2,000 head x eligible weight gain in the grower/finisher category (150 kg. - 25 kg.)
= 250,000 kg.