Why are 5 million acres of Ontario farmland insured under Production Insurance each year?
In a word: protection.
Production Insurance protects Ontario producers from yield reductions and crop losses caused by factors beyond their control, including adverse weather, disease, pests, wildlife or other uncontrollable natural perils.
What Production Insurance offers
- Peace of mind (production level is guaranteed)
- Dependable collateral with financial institutions
- Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government
- Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense
- Claim payments that reflect market price
- Coverage that accommodates the unique aspects of each insurable crop
- Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases)
Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership. For most coverage, producers pay 40% of the total premium cost and none of the administrative cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60%. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.