Why are 5 million acres of Ontario farmland insured under Production Insurance each year?
In a word:
Production Insurance protects Ontario producers from yield reductions and crop losses caused by factors beyond their control. Things like adverse weather, disease, wildlife and insect infestations.
When you enrol in Production Insurance for processing vegetables, you are guaranteed a level of production based on either your contracted tonnage or your yield history – whichever is less – and the level of coverage you choose. A claim may be paid if an insured peril causes your yield to fall below your guaranteed production.
- Making coverage changes – This year, you have until May 31, 2021, to make any changes to your coverage.
- Report your acres – Our online acreage reporting tool has been improved so it’s easier for you to report your acres. The new tool is easier and faster to use, accessible on mobile devices, and compatible with rural internet speeds. To get started, go to the Reporting acreage page after May 1, 2021.
- Coverage extended for on-farm labour disruptions due to COVID 19 – Coverage added in 2020 for production losses caused by on-farm labour disruptions due to COVID-19 is extended for the 2021 program year. For more information, see the following section.
- Same insurance. New look. – We have refreshed the renewal notice and Contract of Insurance for Production Insurance.
- Unseeded acreage coverage – This year, we updated our unseeded acreage coverage to simplify the deductible calculation. This should have little to no impact on claim amounts. For details, see the How it works page.
Coverage for production loss caused by on-farm labour shortages due to COVID-19
On July 9, 2020, the governments of Canada and Ontario announced an enhancement to Production Insurance for eligible commodities in 2020 to help farmers manage challenges beyond their control.
This coverage has been extended for the 2021 program year.
Production Insurance customers who suffer production loss caused by on-farm labour shortages due to COVID-19 will be insured for the 2020 and 2021 program years.
For more information about this coverage, see
Understanding Coverage for 2021 Labour Disruptions.
What Production Insurance offers
- Peace of mind (production level is guaranteed)
- Dependable collateral with financial institutions
- Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government
- Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense
- Claim payments that reflect market prices
- Individual crop plans that accommodate unique aspects of each insurable crop
- Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases)
Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the
Canadian Agricultural Partnership. In most plans, producers pay 40 per cent of the total premium cost and none of the administrative cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60 per cent. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.