Production Insurance
Forage rainfall

Overview

About ​​forage rainfall

The forage rainfall plan uses rainfall as an indicator of quantity and/or quality of forage. There are 2 ways the Forage Rainfall plan can protect your established forage. Get coverage for:

  • Insufficient rainfall during May, June, July and August.
  • Excess rainfall during first cut.

Insu​​fficient rainfall option

If the measured rainfall at the station(s)you choose during the insured period is less than 85% of the long-term average rainfall for your area, a claim may be paid.

Excess rai​​​nfall option

If you get rainfall when you are hoping to harvest, you may have lower quality hay. Or if you have to wait to harvest you will lose nutritional quality due to over-maturity. If this happens, your claim payment will help offset additional costs or losses due to rainfall.

You can apply for 1 or both options. Total claims for both options cannot exceed the chosen insured value of the forage grown.

What's new

  • Making changes to your coverage – We know you are facing uncertainty about markets and input costs, which is a factor as you make important planting decisions. That is why this year the deadline to enrol and make changes for the 2022 Spring Policy is extended to May 16. 
  • Changes to rainfall collection sites – Agricorp is contacting customers whose rainfall collection sites have moved. Forage rainfall coverage offers flexibility to change your rainfall collection sites every year and allows you to select 3 sites to maximize your coverage. For a list of locations, see the 2022 Rainfall Collection Sites feature sheet on the publications page.  

What Production Insurance offers

  • Peace of mind.
  • Dependable collateral with financial institutions.
  • Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government.
  • Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense.
  • Claim payments that reflect market prices.
  • Coverage that accommodates the unique aspects of each insurable crop.
  • Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases).

Funding part​​ners

Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. In most plans, producers pay 40% of the total premium cost and none of the administrative costs. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60%. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.





DeadlinesNovember 2022
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930

Canadian Agricultural Partnership – Agricorp – Ontario – Canada