Why are 5 million acres of Ontario farmland insured under Production Insurance each year?
In a word:
Production Insurance protects Ontario producers from yield reductions and crop losses caused by factors beyond their control, including adverse weather, disease, pests, wildlife or other uncontrollable natural perils.
When you enrol in Production Insurance for strawberries, you are guaranteed a level of production that is based on your yield history and the level of coverage you choose. A claim may be paid if an insured peril causes your yield to fall below your guaranteed production.
Last year, we shortened your renewal notice, making it easier for you to participate and select your coverage. We are continuing to improve the renewal process to better serve our customers.
- Coverage extended for production losses caused by on-farm labour disruptions due to COVID-19 – Coverage added in 2020 has been extended for the 2022 program year. For more information, see below.
More time to make coverage decisions – going forward, you have until
January 1 to make coverage changes, giving you more time to understand your risks for the year ahead. (For 2022, we will accept coverage changes up until January 4 due to the statutory holiday.)
Premium deposit no longer required – one less thing you have to do to secure coverage. You will receive an invoice for the full premium amount in the spring. Your premium is due
Coverage for production losses caused by on-farm labour disruptions due to COVID-19
On July 9, 2020, the governments of Canada and Ontario announced an enhancement to Production Insurance for eligible commodities to help farmers manage challenges beyond their control. This coverage has been extended for the 2022 program year.
Production Insurance customers who have production losses caused by on-farm labour disruptions due to COVID-19 are insured for the 2022 program year. For more information about this coverage, see the feature sheet Understanding Coverage: 2022 On-Farm Labour Disruptions Caused by COVID-19 and the addendum to the Contract of Insurance on the Publications page.
What Production Insurance offers
- Peace of mind (production level is guaranteed).
- Dependable collateral with financial institutions.
- Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government.
- Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense.
- Claim payments that reflect market prices.
- Individual crop plans that accommodate unique aspects of each insurable crop.
- Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases).
Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. In most plans, producers pay 40 per cent of the total premium cost and none of the administrative cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60 per cent. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.