Eligible lambs must:
- Be sold during the program year
- Be produced and owned by you in Ontario for a minimum of 30 days
- Weigh 30 to 126 pounds (live weight) at time of sale
- Be less than one year of age
- Not be pregnant*
* Lambs may be sold for future breeding purposes and still be eligible for program coverage.
Starting in 2021, sheep producers can request payment for any lambs they plan to keep for breeding purposes that weigh at least 85 lbs.
Estimating your insured production
Estimate your insured production based on weight gain up to 115 lb. (live weight) per head at time of sale.
A producer plans to sell:
- 40 lambs at approximately 90 lb. (raised from birth)
- 10 lambs at approximately 120 lb. (raised from birth)
40 lambs x 90 lb. = 3,600 lb.
10 lambs x 115 lb. = 1,150 lb.
Total= 4,750 lb.