Answers to your Production Insurance questions

​​​​​​​​Going into the busy harvest season, Agricorp's top priorities are to make sure producers have the information they need about their program coverage, when they need it, and to assist them with any claims they have. Here are answers to some of the questions frequently asked by producers.

When should I call about damage?

Call Agricorp as soon as you have made one of the following assessments:

  • You don't think your crop will be ready to harvest on time.
  • You notice your yield may be below your guaranteed production.
  • You think your crop is damaged beyond its intended use.

Harvest is a good time to assess your crops for damage. The sooner you call, the sooner Agricorp can provide information and start the claim process. Working with Agricorp early ensures more accurate and timely claim payments.

How can I get my claim started quickly?

Report yields right after harvest – don't wait for deadlines. If you have a yield loss, submit a Proof of Loss form.

For faster payments, sign up for direct deposit.

Can I harvest my corn as silage?

Yes. Production Insurance includes an option to harvest damaged grain corn as silage. A yield will be applied using an industry standard conversion calculation. Contact Agricorp if you are considering harvesting damaged corn as silage. Remaining acres are still eligible for a production claim. For details, please refer to the Harvesting ​Damaged or Stressed Grain Corn Feature Sheet.

What happens if my corn is below grade?

The corn salvage benefit compensates you for the additional costs of harvesting corn that is reduced to sample grade. This benefit is paid when your harvested yield of grade 1 to 5 corn is less than your total guaranteed production and you have some sample grade corn. To learn more, visit the Production Insurance for Corn section.

How was the 2017 winter wheat crop?

This year's yields are at 90 bushels per insured acre, 10 per cent above the 10-year average. For more details and for a provincial yield map, read the 2017 Winter wheat yield maps news story.

What are floating claim prices?

Floating claim prices are set at harvest to compensate you with an Ontario average at-harvest market price needed to replace a production shortfall. Fixed claim prices are set at renewal time and are based on forecasted market prices.

You can find the 2017 winter wheat claim prices in the 2017 Winter wheat yield maps news story. Floating claim prices for corn and soybeans will be posted in November.

Can I insure my forage?

Yes. There is a forage rainfall plan with excess rainfall and insufficient rainfall options. Agricorp paid $2.7 million in August for excess rainfall and $550,000 in September for insufficient rainfall. Call Agricorp today to learn more.

How can other programs help?

AgriStability protects farm income as a whole, instead of one commodity at a time. You receive a payment if your farming income falls below 70 per cent of your farm's recent average income. If you have AgriStability coverage, you can request an interim payment if you're in financial distress.

AgriInvest is a savings account that you can use to cover income declines. Each year, you can deposit up to one per cent of your allowable net sales into a bank account and receive a matching government contribution. You can withdraw funds at any time.

The Risk Management Program (RMP) helps you offset losses caused by low commodity prices and rising production costs. It's available for grains and oilseeds, cattle, hogs, sheep, and veal. You receive payments if the market prices fall below your chosen support level.

SDRM: Edible Horticulture is part of RMP and helps you mitigate general risks associated with your farm business. You receive a government contribution based on your annual deposit into an SDRM account. Your maximum deposit is a percentage of your allowable net sales.

Related stories​​